I Love Dal Makhani. It is my favorite among-st all the dals.. I can gorge on it anytime and every time :-). I think its very earthy and rustic in taste and that’s what I really love.
Here’s how I make it.
3/4 cup whole urad (whole black lentil),
2 tbsp rajma,
3 tbsp butter,
1 tsp jeera,
2 green chillies, cut lengthwise,
1″ stick of cinnamon,
1/2 cup finely chopped onions,
1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste,
1 tsp chilli powder,
1/4 tsp turmeric powder,
1 1/2 cups fresh tomato puree,
1/2 cup fresh cream,
2 tbsp chopped coriander,
1 tbsp fresh cream for the garnish,
Salt to taste
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight.
- Drain, add 2 cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 7 whistles or till the dals are overcooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk till the dal is almost mashed. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the butter in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, and onions and sauté till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste,chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomato puree and cook over a medium flame till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the dal, salt and approx 2 to 3 tbsp water if required and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and mix well. Simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander and fresh cream.
I must tell you, that the cloves really give a lot of heat to the dish. This dal tastes even better the next day, so if you really want the entire flavour to come through make it a day in advance. Just dont add the cream to the recipe. Add it when you heat it up before serving.
Serve it with hot roti